When starting out on a weight loss journey, there are going to be obstacles. If losing weight was easy, it wouldn’t be a journey! Here are a list of my biggest hurdles I will have to clear in order to see progress:
1. CRAVINGS! I am used to eating certain meals/treats, it is certainly hard to kick the habit cold turkey. I have found cutting back on my favorites a little bit at a time has helped keep me on track. Not giving into the occasional temptation can sometimes lead to binge eat. I know from experience!
2. Failing to Meal Plan. Going shopping for the week without a plan…is a bad plan! I have found that when I have meals listed out for the week, I buy all of the ingredients necessary and have no reason to slack on my eating choices. If I don’t plan before grocery shopping, I buy a lot of food that I “think” I will need for the week. I end up with a fridge full of food that does not make meals!
3. Kids. Other moms will agree that it is easy to take bites of the kids’ meals while preparing. When I started logging my food, it was eye opening how much those “little bites” add up to be! Healthy choices or not, they still added extra calories that I was l not thinking about.
4. Weight Loss. This one may seem odd, but it does throw my focus off. When I start to lose weight, I suddenly think I can cheat on my meals slightly. This is a BIG mistake. Those extra cheat bites/meals land me right back at my starting weight. I need to view my weight loss as progress and stay focused!
5. Stress. Everyone has stress in their lives. I tend to eat when I am stressed. It is very easy while I’m sitting at my desk at work to have an extra snack without even noticing. I have cleaned out my work area of unhealthy foods, and replaced with healthier options. Cutting them out completely would be the best option, but refer to number 1! In time, I will be able to eliminate most the snacks!
Everyone has their own road blocks. How we handle them is what is important.